I’ve been using my Nokia N80 for more than a year now and been fairly happy with it.
So it was it a bit of a surprise when it started acting up last week. For some reason, if anyone called me, I could only hear them if I switched the sound to the loudspeaker.
As you can imagine, using the loadspeaker does not go down well in a crowded office environment.
Strangely enough, three other people with Nokia N80′s experienced the same problem.
A little research with Google revealed these problems to be symptoms of a faulty flex cable. Thats the cable that connects the two halves of the N80 together.
At this point I had three options
- Have the phone repaired at an official repair centre
- Have the phone repaired at and un-official repair centre for R500 (approximately $70)
- Fix it myself
Since I had installed modded firmware on my N80, I was pretty sure my warranty was voided. So option 1 was a no-no. Paying R500 for a no guarantee repair was also out.
So that left repairing it myself. An option that became even more appealing once I found out a flex cable costs only R10.
In Part 2, I’ll start the repair attempt